Music and Emotions

There are so many different types of music out there, but I want to talk about music in general. I love music, probably more than most. I listen to a wide variety and honestly if there is a good beat with a general sense of good taste I will listen to it. A lot of people listen to it based on their mood, I however listen to it when writing to get into a certain mood. My kids laugh at me a lot because I will sit and stare blankly at my computer screen listening to everything in my music collection, which ranges from rap to rock to death metal to opera, until I find something that sparks the imagination inside my mind. I have a hard time writing without music, sometimes it is a distraction, but most of the time whatever I am writing reflects the emotion created from the music.
Music to me is nothing but pure emotion. Whether it is sad, happy, angry, or moving I listen to the entire mix of emotions. That's when I realized just earlier this weekend watching a music video music is a release of emotion for the listeners as well as the creators. I can't even remember what band or what song I was watching the video for but I remember seeing the live crowd. Everyone was thrashing about wildly in a mosh pit. That's when I realized that metal music was not what people think.
Music is a release of emotion for those who listen to it. A lot of people give metal music a bad reputation because it is 'all angry', and some of it might be. However, it is a release of that anger for all those people who listen to it. When I listen to it, it releases energy, not just anger. There are some people in this world that cannot release this emotion for reasons of their own, and this music is their release. Instead of keeping it bottled inside, this music gives these people a chance to vent themselves without taking it too extremes. 
Just like sad music, it doesn't even mean your sad, but if a song comes on the radio that is a good heart pulling tear jerker, you will find yourself feeling that emotion for three to four minutes until the next one comes on. Even if it is just a couple minutes that you find yourself singing along and feeling the emotion poured through the speakers you have experienced music.
I love when bands come out with music, and you listen to it and listen to them for a long time. Then all of a sudden a song hits you hard. As you listen to it, no matter what kind of music it is, when it hits you and it feels like you have just sat down in front of a live orchestra playing with them. The air around you is just surrounded by the entire emotion poured out from every direction and you connect with the song. I don't find this very often but when I find a song like this on an album I realize that band has just transformed into something beyond beautiful. They were able to capture the world and direct it right towards you. There are only a few songs that I felt this way about. 
But I want to share a link with all of you about how music can transform a life. I hope you all enjoy the article and follow The You Rock Foundation, it is truly inspirational. https://www.facebook.com/YouRockFNDN/

Here is the article: Enjoy!
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slipknots-corey-taylor-talks-about-his-struggles-with-depression-video/



Comments

  1. Greetings again my friend. I certainly understand your point and message on this post whole heartily.

    Especially the points mentioned on metal music and alt rock music. It's truly not all out of anger yet I tend to feel most misjudge it since it's such a raw and powerful form of music, art, and expression.

    As Hunter S.Thompson mentioned "Music is fuel."

    I consider myself in the same way when it pertains to writing since I'll keep a song on repeat till the emotional fuel courses within my writings. I feel that added touch of music fuel gives our stories such a heighten sense of emotional depth and meaning not to just us as authors yet to the audience as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed

Vagabond... By Marcus Monroe: Update from Dogs at the Supermarket

The End!