Dress Code

I just saw one more article on the news about another female student accused of breaking the school dress code policy. There has been half a dozen or so of these in the past couple of weeks. Having two teenage kids dealing with this same issue everyday, I try to keep up to date on these issues because I think a lot of it is just plain uncalled for.

When I was in school we had dress code issues. Most of the time it was boys wearing the baggy jeans allowing their butts and underwear to hang out. Then in the other school district the people were complaining that their shirts had to be tucked in all the time, which caused a major fuss for the overweight people. Then there was an issue after Columbine about teens wearing trench coats to school, while the principal at the time wore one daily. And yes there were students that wore them back then not because of Columbine, but that is what they wore. I had one myself (which I mostly wore while four wheeling).

The dress code issues are not going to go away, no matter how much people complain. I do agree that their need to be guidelines set, but what these teachers and schools are doing these days are nit picking. A girl must not have any holes in her pants (which is the style to have ripped jeans now. While school shopping it was kind of hard to find pants without being ripped or torn because that is what the style is.) unless she wears leggings underneath. Now here is my issue, girls are permitted to wear shorts at fingertip length, which I do agree is a bit hard to find nowadays as well, but if they are allowed to wear shorts with the skin on their legs showing why can't they wear ripped jeans so long as the rips are below the fingertips.

I had my own issue with this ripped jean thing last year with my daughter. She had worn these certain pants with one hole the size of a nickel several times throughout the year. It was not the first time that she had worn them. So I sent her to school, half an hour after school begins I get a phone call, 'Mom, can you bring me some pants. I'm not allowed to wear these ones now.' Urgh, I had to leave work, go home and find her some pants, and go up to the school, then come back to work. It was a bit much I think for one hole the size of a coin that she had wore before.

Now here is where it may get a bit interesting:
So they complain that the girls are wearing too showy of clothing. It might entice the boys to think dirty thoughts and not be able to concentrate on their school work.
How about we teach our boys to deal with these issues. Its not like seeing the skin on some girls knee is going to cause a boy to lose all control and fail his entire test.
Yes, I do agree that if they allow it, there will people people pushing it too far and wearing barely jeans. I also agree that there are some girls out there that should not wear spandex (Another no-no for the school) and ripped jeans as such, but the fact that they say it will cause issues with the boys is just wrong.
Girls are not permitted to wear tank tops, but boys can.

I honestly don't know where I am going with this except for the fact that I don't understand most or any of it. Just something random. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed

Vagabond... By Marcus Monroe: Update from Dogs at the Supermarket

The End!