Digital (Did You Tell) by Stone Sour

Not because yesterday was my late father's birthday that this random though came to me, but I had realized that I was more like him than I would have thought sooner. 

It came to me how much technology had advanced in the years that he was alive. Through most of it he had embraced it such as tvs, satelite tv programming, phones, but there was a point where he refused to use it. There was a time when I was younger than I could remember my father was working to layout the fiber-optics that we all use today. He told me then that in the coming years we would be able to talk to each other using camera's inside of our phones. He saw the future of technology and I believed him as all young girl's believe their fathers. I didn't picture the future as it it is now. As he said it, I pictured a screen placed on the wall next to the phones, not cell phones with camera's inside of them that we would carry everywhere we go. I'm not sure if that is what he saw as well, but here we are twenty years later quite capable of using phones to video chat whenever we wish.

As technology advanced faster and faster my own father, for whatever reason he had, refused to embrace cellphones until it came to the point that he had to use one. I now find myself in a similar situation. I am one of those wondrous people that have a cellphone with them constantly. There are days where I can set my phone down and forget about it nearly all day. However, I try to keep it near me in the instance that someone may need to get a hold of me. There is a point to these phones that I dare not do, I'm not sure of what the reasoning is for sure though. Whether it is the fact that I don't enjoy listening to my own voice as it is spoken aloud, or possibly the fact that I don't like to speak to inanimate objects. 

I watch the world moving around me, new advancements are coming forward that we can control this or that with our voices. Lights, tv, music, nearly everything can be controlled with our voices. People pick up their phones and just talk to them to get the result of a text message (when I question, what is the point of talking to your phone for a message when you can easily just call the person). Not so much unlike my father I don't like this technology, and I refuse to use it. I fear those that just like my father it will get to a point in my future that it will become necessary that I accept this technology and use it. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed

Vagabond... By Marcus Monroe: Update from Dogs at the Supermarket

Just A Kiss